What Township Am I In
my current township
Quickly answer ‘What township am I in’ using your device’s location or your address anywhere in the U.S.
What Township Am I In: Find what township you are currently in (based on your device’s location), or type your address in the Search places box above the map to check your township by address. The panel near the top of the map will show your township and township boundaries will draw on Google Maps (aka township limits, town lines, civil townships). Answer ‘what township do I live in’ with this free tool.
How to answer ‘WHAT TOWNSHIP AM I IN’ Answer WHAT TOWNSHIP AM I IN using your current location or your address. See township boundaries near me on Google Maps and answer ‘what township am I in’ right now.
The blue dot shows your current location
The info panel shows “Your present township” and township boundaries will draw on the map. If you are not in a township, it will show “n/a”.
You can also search for your township by typing your address in the Search places box above the map
If your location changes while using this tool, click the ⊕ button in the upper right corner of the map
Optionally, check the boxes in the lower left corner of the map to make township boundaries/township limits/town lines/civil townships and city limits visible on the map, and optionally also show county labels on the map.
Click the “Sign In or Join” button in the top header to receive notification of tool updates and usage tips
NOTE: Your current location will typically be more accurate on smartphones and other devices containing a GPS; desktop browsers often show an approximate location.
FAQs for ‘What Township Am I In’
Why do you you need to know which township your are currently in?
- determine applicable laws or orders based on jurisdiction
- determine if you’re in your township-based sales territory
- record township information when conducting field research
- perform volunteer work
- emergency dispatch
- know what township you are in when house hunting
- calculate the correct sales tax
- determine jurisdiction
- note the township when doing various hobbies such as geocaching
- US coverage includes Counties in all 50 states plus Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, Guam, Northern Mariana
Islands and American Samoa
“Show US township limits” draws all incorporated cities and towns in the United States and its territories and possessions
“Show US townships” draws all minor civil divisions (MCDs) (these are often townships)
- The Search places box uses a standard Google Maps geocoding engine, therefore you can type street addresses, road names, points of interest, and GPS coordinates
- Many of the map layers from which this information is extracted are very large, so it may take several seconds for all of the map layers to finish drawing
- Because the map layers are large, boundaries will not be shown if you are zoomed out too far
- Note that typing an address will zoom in the map very close, whereas typing a township or county by itself will show you a map with a wider view
- Disclaimer: While the number of decimals in the latitude and longitude displayed for the map marker imply a positional accuracy of within a few feet, note that Google Maps is not inherently that accurate, and therefore this tool should not be used for legal purposes or anything beyond entertainment value.
– US: Census Bureau
– UK: Open Government License – Contains Office of National Statistics data, Ordnance Survey data ©Crown copyright and database right 2017. Open Data Lincese – Ordnance Survey of Northern Ireland.
– Ireland: Open Data and Creative Commons License – Ordnance Survey Ireland
– Australia: Incorporates Administrative Boundaries ©PSMA Australia Limited licensed by the Commonwealth of Australia under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International licence
– New Zealand: Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 – Stats NZ
– Canada: Open License – Boundary Files, 2016 Census; Statistics Canada Catalogue no. 92-160-X
– Mexico: Instituto Nacional de Estadística y Geografía (INEGI)
– Switzerland: Swiss Federal Office of Topography
Help improve this tool. Please comment.