What County Am I In
Quickly answer ‘What county am I in’ using your device’s location
What County Am I In: Find what county you are currently in based on your device’s location. The panel above the map will show your county, and a red marker will show your location on Google Maps.
This page is optimized for fast loading on a mobile device so that you can quickly answer What County Am I In Right Now. To find county by address and view county boundaries on a fully interactive Google Map, use the County Lines map tool.
Where Am I: You can also use this tool to answer Where Am I or Where Am I right now. The panel above the map shows your current county as well as city, township and state. If you’re at home, this tool will tell you what county you live in.
Why do you you need to know which county your are currently in?
- determine applicable laws or regulations based on jurisdiction
- determine if you’re in your county-based sales territory
- record county information when conducting field research
- perform volunteer work
- emergency dispatch
- know what county you are in when house hunting
- calculate the correct sales tax
- determine jurisdiction
- note the county when doing various hobbies such as geocaching
- US coverage includes Counties in all 50 states plus Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands and American Samoa
- Within the UK, England includes Counties and Unitary Authorities, Scotland includes Council Areas, Wales includes Principal Areas, and Northern Ireland includes Districts. Explanation of Unitary Authorities, Council Areas, Principal Areas and Districts.
- Australia includes Local Government Areas (LGAs)
- New Zealand includes Territorial Authorities
- Canada includes Census Divisions, which are Counties in some provinces but may include other geographies
- Mexico includes Municipalities, which are the next level administrative divisions below State
- Switzerland includes Districts
Sources– US: Census Bureau
– UK: Open Government License – Contains Office of National Statistics data, Ordnance Survey data ©Crown copyright and database right 2017. Open Data Lincese – Ordnance Survey of Northern Ireland.
– Ireland: Open Data and Creative Commons License – Ordnance Survey Ireland
– Australia: Incorporates Administrative Boundaries ©PSMA Australia Limited licensed by the Commonwealth of Australia under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International licence
– New Zealand: Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 – Stats NZ
– Canada: Open License – Boundary Files, 2016 Census; Statistics Canada Catalogue no. 92-160-X
– Mexico: Instituto Nacional de Estadística y Geografía (INEGI)
– Switzerland: Swiss Federal Office of Topography
Help improve this tool. Please comment.