What City Am I In
Quickly answer ‘What city am I in’ using your device’s location anywhere in the U.S.
What City Am I In: This tool shows what city you are in right now. For best results, allow permission to use your location when prompted by your browser. The panel above the map will show your city, and a red marker will show your location on Google Maps.
This page is optimized for fast loading on a mobile device so that you can quickly answer What City Am I In Right Now. To find city by address and view city limits on a fully interactive Google Map, use the City Limits map tool.
Quick Tips for using this City Finder map tool
- Your browser will ask your permission to use your location* so that this city tool can use your device’s GPS coordinates (longitude and latitude) to determine what city you are currently in. It will then display your current city name, as well as county, township and state above the map. If you are not currently in an incorporated city, the tool will display n/a for the city name.
- If you do not allow permission to use your location, this tool approximates your location (and therefore your city) based on the ip address of your browser’s internet connection.
- If you wish to find your city by address, click the map to be taken to the City Limits map tool.
- If you get the error message above the map stating Browser settings set to not share your location, on mobile you can reload the page to be prompted to share your location. On desktop, you can allow location permission in Chrome by clicking the padlock icon in your browser address bar and toggling the Location slider on as shown below. The page will reload with location permissions granted.
* this website does not store your location
Where Am I: You can also use this tool to answer Where Am I or Where Am I right now. The panel above the map shows your current city as well as township, county and state. If you’re at home, this tool will tell you what city you live in. If you’re on a long road trip across the country, it will answer What City and State am I in or What is My Location City.
FAQs for What City Am I In?
Why do you you need to know which city your are currently in?
- determine applicable laws or orders based on jurisdiction
- determine if you’re in your city-based sales territory
- record city information when conducting field research
- perform volunteer work
- emergency dispatch
- know what city you are in when house hunting
- calculate the correct sales tax, where being in an incorporated city vs unincorporated area can make a big difference
- determine jurisdiction
- note the city when doing various hobbies such as geocaching
- US coverage includes incorporated Cities in all 50 states plus Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands and American Samoa