What City Am I In
You are currently in:
my current city
Quickly answer ‘What city am I in’ using your device’s location or your address anywhere in the U.S.
What City Am I In: Find what city you are in right now (based on your device’s location), or type your address in the Search places box above the map to check your city by address. The panel near the top of the map will show your city and city limits will draw on Google Maps (aka city borders, city lines, city boundaries). Answer ‘what city am I in right now’ with this free tool.
Where Am I: You can also use this tool to answer Where Am I or Where Am I right now. Below the map, your present city, township, county and state are all listed. The blue bar above the map also shows your current city, township, county and state, plus your current latitude and longitude.
How to find your city with the WHAT CITY AM I IN toolAnswer WHAT CITY AM I IN using your current location or your address. See city limits near me on Google Maps and know what city or town you are in right now.
FAQs for What City Am I In?
Why do you you need to know which city your are currently in?
- determine applicable laws or orders based on jurisdiction
- determine if you’re in your city-based sales territory
- record city information when conducting field research
- perform volunteer work
- emergency dispatch
- know what city you are in when house hunting
- calculate the correct sales tax, where being in an incorporated city vs unincorporated area can make a big difference
- determine jurisdiction
- note the city when doing various hobbies such as geocaching
- US coverage includes Counties in all 50 states plus Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands
and American Samoa
“Show US city limits” draws all incorporated cities and towns in the United States and its territories and possessions
“Show US townships” draws all minor civil divisions (MCDs) (these are often townships)
- The Search places box uses a standard Google Maps geocoding engine, therefore you can type street addresses, road names, points of interest, and GPS coordinates
- Many of the map layers from which this information is extracted are very large, so it may take several seconds for all of the map layers to finish drawing
- Because the map layers are large, boundaries will not be shown if you are zoomed out too far
- Note that typing an address will zoom in the map very close, whereas typing a city or county by itself will show you a map with a wider view
- Disclaimer: While the number of decimals in the latitude and longitude displayed for the map marker imply a positional accuracy of within a few feet, note that Google Maps is not inherently that accurate, and therefore this tool should not be used for legal purposes or anything beyond entertainment value.
Sources– US: Census Bureau
– UK: Open Government License – Contains Office of National Statistics data, Ordnance Survey data ©Crown copyright and database right 2017. Open Data Lincese – Ordnance Survey of Northern Ireland.
– Ireland: Open Data and Creative Commons License – Ordnance Survey Ireland
– Australia: Incorporates Administrative Boundaries ©PSMA Australia Limited licensed by the Commonwealth of Australia under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International licence
– New Zealand: Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 – Stats NZ
– Canada: Open License – Boundary Files, 2016 Census; Statistics Canada Catalogue no. 92-160-X
– Mexico: Instituto Nacional de Estadística y Geografía (INEGI)
– Switzerland: Swiss Federal Office of Topography
Help improve this tool. Please comment.