Township 8 North, Range 16 East, Boise Principal Meridian, Idaho
View Township 8 North, Range 16 East, Boise Principal Meridian, Idaho Township and Range on Google Maps with this interactive Section Township Range finder. Search by address, place, land parcel description or GPS coordinates (latitude, longitude)
Just need an image? Scroll down the page to the Idaho Section Township Range Map Image
Township and Range made easy! Use this free township and range locator to search by address, place, land parcel description or GPS coordinates (latitude, longitude). View and search the Public Land Survey System (PLSS), also known as Congressional townships or survey townships, all the way down to the section, quarter section and quarter quarter section level, all overlaid on a fully interactive Google Map. Optionally, add section township range labels, and overlay counties and cities as well!
Quick Tips for using this Idaho Section Township and Range map tool
- There are four ways to get started using this Idaho Section Township and Range map tool
- In the “Search places” box above the map, type an address, city, etc. and choose the one you want from the auto-complete list
- Click the map to see the Section, Township and Range for where you clicked (Monthly Contributors also get Dynamic Maps)
- Use the “Find parcel” tool below the map to search for a known Section, Township and Range, for example from a land deed. Tip: You don’t have to specify a Section if you only know the Township and Range. Also, you can leave the PM (Prime Meridian) set to “any” and the tool will let you know if there are multiple matches.
- To search using GPS coordinates use the “Find lat long” box in the top right above the map*
- Click the ◉ button in the upper right corner of the map to use your current location. Click the ◉ button again to automatically update your location every 1, 5 or 10 minutes (Monthly Contributors also get an option to update every several seconds).**
As you click on townships, sections and aliquot parts smaller than a section (such as quarter sections), the approximate area in acres (square miles for townships) will be shown for the yellow-highlighted unit. Only use this acreage as an approximate, as it is a GIS-computed area and may not correspond with the official survey-recorded area.
- Optionally, check the “Show labels” checkbox in the lower left corner of the map to see the names of township and range, section and quarter quarter section on the map. More labels will appear as you zoom in. There are also options to show US city limits and county lines on the map.
- Subscribe to receive notification of tool updates and usage tips
* You can search using various formats of latitude longitude, including degrees, minutes and seconds; degrees
and decimal minutes; or decimal degrees
** The “Locate” button will be more accurate on smartphones and other devices containing a GPS; desktop browsers typically show an approximate location
Section Township Range is part of the U.S. Public Land Survey System (PLSS), which is administered by the United States Department of the Interior’s Bureau of Land Management (BLM). The PLSS is a system of land surveying that was created by the United States government in the early 1800s. The system divides land into rectangular parcels, which are then further subdivided into smaller parcels. The PLSS is used to survey much of the land in the United States, including land that is owned by the federal government, state governments, and private individuals.
The following states use the BLM’s PLSS and are covered by this Section Township Range map tool: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio (partial), Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming. The remaining U.S. states typically use the older metes and bounds system and are therefore not covered by this tool.
Find Sections, Townships and Ranges by radius or by drawing a line or shape
- To find Sections, Townships and Ranges within a radius or near a line or shape you draw*:
- Click the “Selection Tools” button in the lower left corner of the map
- – RADIUS SELECT: To find Sections, Townships and Ranges within a radius, specify the mileage in the “Select map
features within x miles of the shapes I draw” box, then use the Point “Add a marker” tool to draw a point
in the middle of the radius
– TOUCHING A LINE OR SHAPE: To find Sections, Townships and Ranges that touch a line or a shape you draw, use the Line tool or Shape tool to draw the shape, double-clicking when finished
– WITHIN DISTANCE OF A LINE OR SHAPE: To find Sections, Townships and Ranges that are within a distance of a line or a shape you draw, first specify the mileage in the “Select map features within x miles of the shapes I draw” box, then use the Line tool or Shape tool to draw the shape, double-clicking when finished
- The Sections, Townships and Ranges will be highlighted and listed in a “Results from map” box below the
map, where you can copy the selected Sections, Townships and Ranges for use in a spreadsheet or other
– Optionally, keep drawing shapes to select more Sections, Townships and Ranges
- When you are finished selecting Townships and Ranges, click the “DONE Selecting” button in the lower left corner of the map
* Sections, Townships and Ranges will get selected if any part of the shape you draw falls within the Section, Township and Range
Idaho Section Township Range Map Image
Static Map Image of Idaho Section Township Range Map
Why was this tool created? Many people have requested to be able to search by section, township and range, and be able to see them displayed on top of Google Maps.
While some other tools show Section Township Range on Google Earth, requiring downloads and installation, this free tool shows Section Township Range on Google Maps in a web browser, requiring no downloads and no installation. And you can even use it on your smart phone or tablet!
- Township, Range and Section lines are part of the Public Land Survey System (PLSS), the most complete source being the Bureau of Land Management (BLM)
- See states covered by this tool listed above
- Survey Type Codes (shown when available):
– AS: Alaska State Land Survey
– AT: Alaska Tideland Survey
– C: U.S. Coal Land Survey
– D: Allotment Survey
– E: Metes and Bounds
– F: Farm Unit Survey
– G: Land Grant
– H: Homestead Entry
– I: Indian Interest
– J: Small Tract, Small Holding Claim
– K: Townsite Block
– L: Lot
– M: Mineral Survey
– N: Townsite Survey
– P: BLM Parcel
– Q: Donation Land Claim
– S: United States Survey
– T: Tract
– U: Unsurveyed Protracted
– W: Water or Meandered Water
– X: Exchange Survey
– Y: Townsite Outlot
– Z: Unsurveyed Unprotracted
- The Search places box uses a standard Google Maps geocoding engine, therefore you can type street addresses, road names, points of interest, etc. to see what section, township, and range that location is part of
- Many of the map layers from which this information is extracted are very large, so it may take several seconds for all of the map layers to finish drawing
- Because the map layers are large, fewer lines will be shown if you are zoomed out too far
- Note that typing an address will zoom in the map very close, whereas typing a city or county by itself will show you a map with a wider view
- Disclaimer: While the number of decimals in the latitude and longitude displayed for the map marker may imply a positional accuracy of within a few feet, note that Google Maps and the source data may not be that accurate. Accordingly, this tool should not be used for legal nor surveying purposes or anything beyond entertainment value.
– Section Township Range: US Department of the Interior, Bureau of Land Management
BLM’s Limitations of Use: These data are provided by BLM “as is” and may contain errors or omissions. The User assumes the entire risk associated with its use of these data and bears all responsibility in determining whether these data are fit for the User’s intended use. The information contained in these data is dynamic and may change over time. The data are not better than the original sources from which they were derived, and both scale and accuracy may vary across the data set. These data may not have the accuracy, resolution, completeness, timeliness, or other characteristics appropriate for applications that potential users of the data may contemplate. The User is encouraged to carefully consider the content of the metadata file associated with these data. These data are neither legal documents nor land surveys, and must not be used as such. Official records may be referenced at most BLM offices. Please report any errors in the data to the BLM office for which it was obtained. The BLM should be cited as the data source in any products derived from these data. Any Users wishing to modify the data should describe the types of modifications they have performed. The User should not misrepresent the data, nor imply that changes made were approved or endorsed by BLM. This information may be updated without notification.
– City Limits, County Lines, State Lines: US Census Bureau
Listing of all U.S. County Maps showing Section Township and Range
Listing of all Townships and Ranges in the U.S. Public Land Survey System
Listing of all Townships and Ranges in Idaho