View County Lines on Google Maps with this free tool
Coverage includes the U.S., U.K., Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Mexico and Switzerland. Popular uses include real estate, sales, business planning, field research, sales tax determination, education, routing, travel, entertainment, permitting, grassroots efforts and determining county jurisdiction.
Want to color-code groups of ZIP Codes or Counties? Use the mapBuilder tool above!
FAQs for ‘County Lines’
How do you see Google Maps with county lines? Just follow the quick steps above and you will see the county boundary lines for U.S., Great Britain, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Mexico and Switzerland displayed on a fully-interactive Google Map.
Do things such as:
– Find county for an address
– Determine what county a city or township is located in
– Help determine which county or local sales tax may apply for a given location
– Find out what county are these GPS coordinates located in (see * above)?
– plus any of a number of other topics where knowing counties and cities may be important, such as real estate, sales, education, field research and more
- US coverage includes Counties in all 50 states plus Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, Guam, Northern Mariana
Islands and American Samoa
“Also show US city limits” draws all incorporated cities and towns in the United States and its territories and possessions
“Also show US townships” draws all minor civil divisions (MCDs) (these are often townships)
- Within the UK, England displays Counties and Unitary Authorities, Scotland displays Council Areas, Wales displays Principal Areas, and Northern Ireland displays Districts. Explanation of Unitary Authorities, Council Areas, Principal Areas and Districts.
- Australia displays Local Government Areas (LGAs)
- New Zealand displays Territorial Authorities
- Canada displays Census Divisions, which are Counties in some provinces but may include other geographies
- Mexico displays Municipalities, which are the next level administrative divisions below State
- Switzerland displays Districts
- The Search places box uses a standard Google Maps geocoding engine, therefore you can type street addresses, road names, points of interest, and GPS coordinates (see * above) to see what county that location is part of
- Many of the map layers from which this information is extracted are very large, so it may take several seconds for all of the map layers to finish drawing
- Because the map layers are large, boundaries will not be shown if you are zoomed out too far
- Note that typing an address will zoom in the map very close, whereas typing a city or county by itself will show you a map with a wider view
- Disclaimer: While the number of decimals in the latitude and longitude displayed for the map marker imply a positional accuracy of within a few feet, note that Google Maps is not inherently that accurate, and therefore this tool should not be used for legal purposes or anything beyond entertainment value.
– US: Census Bureau
– UK: Open Government License – Contains Office of National Statistics data, Ordnance Survey data ©Crown copyright and database right 2017. Open Data Lincese – Ordnance Survey of Northern Ireland.
– Ireland: Open Data and Creative Commons License – Ordnance Survey Ireland
– Australia: Incorporates Administrative Boundaries ©PSMA Australia Limited licensed by the Commonwealth of Australia under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International licence
– New Zealand: Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 – Stats NZ
– Canada: Open License – Boundary Files, 2016 Census; Statistics Canada Catalogue no. 92-160-X
– Mexico: Instituto Nacional de Estadística y Geografía (INEGI)
– Switzerland: Swiss Federal Office of Topography
Help improve this tool. Please comment.
Listing of all U.S. County Maps showing Cities and City Limits