I’ve had requests from several people to add the capability to create links on their website that would open up the County Lines on Google Maps tool already focused on their region of interest.
Several have also wondered if there is a way to create a ZIP Code-based Sales/Service/Delivery Area map on the fly.
Now you can! Here’s how it works:
Create a map zoomed to a State and show County Name labels
To simply zoom to a state and optionally show county name labels and a map title, create a link such as this:
TIP: copy/paste the links below and customize to suit your needs
The parameters you can use are as follows:
- state – expects a 2-character state code as used by the USPS, for example, ?state=CT
- onestate – optionally shows ONLY the counties in the state specified by the state parameter by using the word show, as in, &onestate=show (in other words, this will hide the county boundaries that are outside of your state of interest)
- title – optionally give your map a title (use the + character to represent spaces), for example, &title=Connecticut+Counties
- labels – optionally shows county labels by using the word show, as in, &labels=show
- color – optionally choose the color used for the Map Title, expects a 6-character hex color code without the leading # character, for example, &color=00FF00 would create a green map title (free tools are widely available on the internet to find your hex color)
Create a map zoomed to a ZIP Code-based Delivery Area/Service Area/Sales Territory and add Title, Colors etc
Tool just updated: Now it’s easier than ever to create your custom delivery area map based on ZIP Codes by using this simple form found here:
A lot of people seem to do a Google search for ‘Create territory map with ZIP Codes free’. This is how to do just that! To zoom to one or multiple ZIP Codes, and show the overall boundary (e.g. for a service area, sales territory or delivery area), see instructions here:
Maps created from the above two examples
The first example links you to a County Lines map centered on Connecticut, showing you the county lines and labeling the names of the counties on the map:
The second example creates a Service Territory Map based on a list of ZIP Codes (10023,10024,10025,10026) and creates a title for the map:
A few important things to make this work:
1. You must use the question mark ( ? ) right after , as shown above and below
2. Do NOT use spaces anywhere in the URL or query parameters
3. You must separate query parameters using the ampersand ( & ), as shown above and below
4. User the+character to represent spaces in the title parameter
TIP: For simplicity, you can drop the https://www from the front and just create the link as:
With this functionality, you can feel free to create links on your own website that open a window to the Custom Google Maps Tool, zoomed into your area of interest and showing a ZIP Code based sales territory, service territory or delivery area!
Some websites that make use of this custom map functionality
- Teamsters Find Work website (see the ‘county lines’ link near the top of the pages)
- Where’s George currency tracking website (see the ‘Map this location’ Google Maps icons on the pages)
Feel free to share this with others who may find this functionality useful!
NOTE: The above article relates to PRESENT-day County Lines. Here are the instructions for linking to HISTORICAL County Lines.